Candle Luminaries: Holiday Light
Luminaries are one of the most beautiful ways you can welcome guests into your home for a party, holiday, celebration or special occasion. There's nothing more inviting than a row of glowing luminaries lining your porch, walkway, driveway or steps. Even better, luminaries are one of the simplest, most inexpensive candle decorations you can make.
Simple luminaries are often the best, requiring little equipment and casting the best candlelight. Here's how to make a set of 12 luminaries:
12 unscented tea light candles (+ extras)
12 glass tea light votives
12 small paper bags (lunch sacks or colored gift bags work the best)
1 large bucket of sand, potting soil or fine gravel
Long matches or a lighter
- Place each tea light into a glass votive.
- Fill each paper bag with approximately 3 inches of sand ?? enough to weight the bag and provide an even base for the tealight.
- Position the bags along your pathway or porch, spacing them apart evenly and leaving at least six inches between bags. (Luminaries are most effective when placed 6-12 inches apart).
- Gently place one tea light votive inside each bag, using the sand to help level and steady it.
- Light each tea light with an extra-long match or lighter!
To personalize your luminaries, try stenciling your monogram or a seasonal design on the front of each bag then cutting it out (much like cutting a face on a pumpkin). The additional holes will let more candlelight come through, and your luminaries will be customized just for the occasion! Here are some ideas to try:
For parties and special occasions:
Initials of the guest of honor
New Year's Confetti
Valentine's Day Hearts
Fourth of July Fireworks
Halloween Pumpkin face
Christmas TreeChanukah Dreidel